Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My Secret Learning Challenge


by Katie Halsey

For many years, I have known that I have a learning challenge. I remember as early as second grade having a reading comprehension problem and it has followed me through to my adult life. I have always kept quiet about it because I was embarrassed. While it was a challenge it never kept me from being successful, in fact, I graduated from college cum laude and now run my own business.

Somehow I managed, but I was always curious to know if I could overcome the lingering feeling of inadequacy. As I said, it did not keep me from pursuing a career as a paralegal early on and currently as a personal trainer. However, I would now like to further my career and get certified as a health coach, which means a lot of detailed reading and needing to comprehend all of the material for the test.

There's that feeling again. What do I do?


Being on the Board of the Stern Center I know a lot about the services they provide but had never experienced them personally. I decided that there was no better time than the present to learn more about myself and how my brain works so I had an evaluation last December.

I was a little nervous about the evaluation at first, but was immediately put at ease upon meeting my evaluator as we sat and talked about what the day would hold. The different activities were so much fun - it felt more like game play than work. The day passed by quickly leaving me feeling a little tired, but more confident than I did beforehand and relieved that the evaluation wasn't what I thought it would be—more book work than game play.

It took a few weeks after the evaluation was completed to get the written report of what was found. It confirmed what I already knew—reading comprehension was a problem. I was told that when there is a comprehension problem, there may be another underlying issue. With this information in hand, what should I do next? Instruction.

I was so excited to meet with my instructor and put together a plan to aid me in studying for my health coach certification. In our first meeting, we learned that I was never taught phonics, which may be the underlying issue linked with my reading comprehension problem. With this discovery, I was so moved and relieved to learn that after so many years of struggling, that no matter your age, you can still learn skills you missed as a child.

My instructor and I meet once a week when our schedules permit and will continue to meet until I sit for my health coach certification exam. We are working on phonics as well as study tips. With each session, my confidence grows and my feeling of inadequacy fades.

I believe I will succeed.

If you have ever doubted yourself in what you are capable of, you are not alone. There are tools available that can help you learn. These tools, no matter your age, can change your life.

Not all great minds think alike.

Katie Halsey is currently living in Shelburne with her husband David. She has a private personal training practice and is studying to become certified as a Health Coach. Katie has been on the Stern Center Board of Directors for five years and has served on the Special Events and Scholarship Committees prior her role as Chair. She has two children – her daughter Kirsten will be attending Boston University’s Physician Assistant’s program and her son Stephen will be applying to medical school.

No comments:

Post a Comment