Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Miss Vermont International Raises Autism Awareness


by Karly Fereday, Miss Vermont International and Stern Center Volunteer

Karly (left) and Emmaline at the Stern Center

My name is Karly Fereday and I am Miss Vermont International 2015. For those of you who might not know much about me, I am the oldest of six siblings. I attended Meredith College for two years studying Art and one day I hope to become an Art Therapist. I have chosen Autism as my platform for the pageant because it’s very close to my heart for many reasons, one of them being that I have a younger brother that has been diagnosed with it.

Autism is a developmental disability that affects how a person communicates and relates to other people. It also affects how they make sense of the world around them. It is a spectrum condition which means that, while all people with autism share certain difficulties, their condition will affect them all differently. I have been working as a personal care assistant for people with special needs on and off for about five years while working part-time at a salon. Autism is my platform that I am speaking about across the state of Vermont to raise awareness.

I have been a volunteer for the Vermont Autism Task Force, and for the past month, have also volunteered in the Communication Services department at the Stern Center on Tuesdays. While there, I work with two different groups of kids. The first group is made up of a couple of energetic, 10-year-old boys, and the second is a group with two 14-year-old girls, who love
trying on my crown and sash, and taking photos.

It’s really great to spend time with these kids because I get to learn more about Autism and how it affects everyone differently. It is very difficult for me to understand what my brother who has autism goes through, and at times it's sad. Some days he comes home so depressed and it's so heartbreaking to see him like that. Other days he either throwing tantrums or is bouncing off the walls. And then others, he is very happy and he's fun to be around.

In 2014, one in every 68 children was diagnosed with autism and the rate is even higher for boys with one in every 42 being diagnosed nationwide. I'm grateful to the Stern Center for allowing me help out and volunteer. I love working with the kids and in doing so I gain a better understanding of Autism.

In July I will be heading to Jacksonville, FL to compete for the title of Miss International. I can’t wait to represent Vermont! Getting prepared, representing the Stern Center and raising Awareness for Autism has been such an empowering venture. Together we can make a better world for those with autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment